Monday, July 6, 2009

One thing

I haven't said anything about Sarah Palin's resignation because you don't care and I said my piece last fall. When John McCain tabbed her as his running mate he virtually guaranteed that I would not, I could not, vote for him. I hope in 10/20/50 years it's remembered as one of the worst decisions in the history of electoral politics.

But to quote the NY Times' most recent conservative columnist Ross Douthat (who I've read previously in The Atlantic)

Sarah Palin is beloved by millions because her rise suggested, however temporarily, that the old American aphorism about how anyone can grow up to be president might actually be true.

But her unhappy sojourn on the national stage has had a different moral: Don't even think about it.

He parrots the issue that I've had all along with Palin supporters. If one opposed electing Palin to a national office, much as I did, we obviously did for one or several of these reasons: 1. she's a woman 2. she's a mother 3. she's a Christian, 4. she's from Alaska, 5. she's not from the old-boy network of the educated elite.

In fact, Palin's status as a (relatively) young-female-evangelical-mother is almost perfect - no matter the criticism, there's an easy way to discredit it. I'll admit I disagree with Palin upon religion, and the role it plays in government - I also don't believe she practices what she preaches - but that's not the point. The point is that Sarah Palin was not, and is not, prepared to serve in a national elected office. That is/was/will remain the problem. Yes, this charge was leveled at Obama, but at least he'd demonstrated that he'd make deliberate, well thought-out decisions. In fact, he's been criticised for being too cautious. I'll take that any day of the week over a mercurial decision maker with a record of corruption and spiteful endings. Palin's impromptu resignation only drives home that she's both impulsive and impetuous in her decisions. Even conservative pundits (for lack of a better word) like Charles Krauthammer agree that if she wanted to run in 2012 she needed to go home, competently finish her term as Governor, and do her homework. The woman has charisma. But the fact is, on most issues she has no idea what's she talking about.

Oh, and my schadenfreude and I are gleefully waiting to see if the other shoe will soon drop.

No comments:

Post a Comment