Thursday, November 19, 2009

A scarf you say

I suppose I like a scarf as much as the next guy; unless, that is, the next guy really loves scarves. Lest you call me to task, I'll freely admit that I do own at least three of them* - but I rarely wear one and we aren't too attached, those scarves and I. First off, I'd only wear them in the winter, and by that point I already have parka and beanie and gloves - and dammit I believe a man can be too accessorized. What's more, I hate having to take things off and put them on again ad infinitum, especially something I'm told to wrap around my neck like a long dead python.

Anyway, my point - if there is one - is that some people wear a scarf all the time. I don't understand it. Yes, it's none of my business, and everyone should follow their dreams. But if their dreams involve wearing a scarf at every waking (and possibly, sleeping) moment, I suggest that they get a nasty and persistent drug habit. There are those who inside, beside the cozy fireplace, will be wearing a scarf. Outside on a 70 degree day: wearing a scarf. Out for a jog on a brisk fall morning: wearing a scarf. Out at the bar with friends? Take the coat off, but leave the scarf on in case of chill.

Now, it might be arcane, but I'm just crazy enough to support such a scarf were you afraid of assassination or attack (and believed it provided the vulnerable neck with extra protection). I somehow doubt this. Most well-adjusted individuals don't worry about violent attack in public places. Even the insane - or those prone to flights of fancy like myself - only think of this occasionally. And honestly, wool or silk will do little against a knife and likely less against a bullet.

So, are these people perpetually cold? Cursed by a heart and blood vessels that hate them and every moment silently plot their doom? Do they feel this accoutrement completes their "look"? Are they covering up the bite of a vampire, or worse, the marks of a lover's overenthusiastic smooch?

And no, even I don't particularly understand why I care.

* one of them is Manchester United and the other is the Glasgow Rangers. I have no doubt that, were I to know anything more than the bare minimum about being a fan of English/Scottish soccer, this would be some sort of grave offense.

No comments:

Post a Comment