Tuesday, April 21, 2009

What I care about

A few days ago, a soon-to-be-married friend of mine remarked that her fiancee' required that their future home feature stainless steel appliances - because they're easier to keep clean, if I recall. I have no reason to think this an unreasonable request. This fellow has always seemed quality to me, and what follows is in no way an indictment of him. However, this did set me to thinking about my own favorite topic ... myself. I wondered; is this going to cause me trouble down the line in life?

As we know, I care about Chiefs football and Royals baseball. A perfectly thrown pass or wicked curve ball can bring me great joy and their disappointment can bring me great heartbreak. I care about family and friends that prove to be worth the effort. I care about the music and films that bring me happiness, from Dylan to Timberlake, Casablanca to Major League. I care about a good joke and (more commonly) a bad joke ("the trashcan to the head" never gets old). I care about an overpriced cigar on a warm summer evening, that first crisp taste of a cold beer, and that mule kick to the head bourbon so expertly provides. I care about those drunken conversations with friends, those in which questions like "which Truckers album is best?" are just as grave as the global economic crisis. I care about taking fewer things seriously with each passing year. I care that the only recipe in this world that involves anger, unhappiness and stress is that of an early exit from this veil of tears. I am trying to care about my long-neglected health and fitness.

Were I to find my lifemate, I would care for her security and her happiness. I would care that even if she had no love of football or Led Zeppelin, she would indulge me my vices. I would take care that I indulge hers as well, just as I would take care to be a less difficult person than i am now. Were I to have children, I would care for their safety and health, their intelligence and character. I would care that they be a better, more selfless, person than their old man. I would care that I fulfill all duties and expectations placed upon me as a husband as a father. I would care about the wedding not because it consumes me with passion, but because it is important to her.

However, I am not going to care about the refrigerator.*


*As long as it keeps things cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment