Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Who Knows Anymore

I haven't felt much like blogging over the past several days, and I know this is tremendously disappointing to my 1.75 devoted readers out there. It's been one of those stretches in which several blog posts take shape in my head, but by the time I could get hand to keyboard I decide it's not worth the time. What's on my mind, if you care...

- The Royals opened the season yesterday and gave their fans an (expected) kick to the balls. Needless to say, the incredibly overpaid Kyle Farnsworth did exactly what every discerning fan thought he would do once the Royals flushed $9 million down the toilet for him. I could write 10 pages on this game, but really my thoughts are better voiced by a blogger with much more baseball cred than myself, Rany Jazayerli. It's really long, as Rany is from my school of blogging, but this is the money quote:

Instead, Trey Hillman made arguably the worst decision made by any of the 30 major league managers in their first game, and it cost his team the game. Worse, that decision was pre-meditated.

Amen. Yeah, it's only opening day. But it exposes some larger organizational decision making problems.

- So recently I found out that a "friend" is getting married. Ironically, didn't so much hear it from said friend. He emailed me to ask for my address (apparently unhappy I wasn't on Facebook on the time), which I automatically assumed was because he was engaged. Turns out I was correct - but I had to find it out from a third party. I got the invite this weekend. That's right, the actual invite arrived less than 2 weeks after I had any inkling he was even engaged. The wedding is next month, 8 hours from here, and right around the time I'm attending 2 other weddings (both that I've known about for the better part of a year). I won't be attending this newest wedding, nor will most of the people from our crowd. It's one of those that I feel I should be tore up about: this is one of those people that, were they to get married, I always assumed I would be there. But I'm not, really. Not anymore. This friend made it pretty clear, even back in college, that he was moving on. That is his prerogative. It is mine not to attend his shotgun wedding.

1 comment: