Monday, June 22, 2009

Righteous Indignation FTW

A copy of an email I sent tonight to a third-party utility management company I am forced to use.

While I realize that this email will be summarily deleted, I feel I that must contact someone to let my feelings be known. The fact that there is a $7.50 “convenience fee” to pay online a bill that is typically $15-$20 total is both ludicrous and insulting to residents. Due to my occupation I am traveling for extended periods of time and have my mail forwarded – yet they will not forward this particular bill. However, should I desire to pay it online, much in the way I can pay every other bill online for free, I am charged a fee that is more than 40% of the bill’s total amount.

Yes, I understand that credit card companies and third-party processing intermediaries charge fees, but the level of this fee is preposterous. I can only surmise that this fee is motivated by one of two desires: 1. You don’t want people to pay online - and if that’s the case you should simply remove it as an option. 2. Shameless profiteering upon those customers who need/have/want to pay online.

That my apartment complex uses your service - and thus takes the choice of my patronage out of my hands – does not make this policy any less absurd.

Yours in Christ*,

Maddog


* I may or may not have used this in closing. You can determine that for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment