I'm not a big "tv person." Not when compared say, with my mother, who has approximately 10 shows that she watches/tapes (yes, tapes, not DVR's) religiously each week. I find cable is an unnecessary expense, especially being away from home as much as I am. I have traditionally been a big fan of "House," but I find the current season bothersome. I had an obsessive "The Office" phase, but count me among the many who found the show lost something when "Jim and Pam" were no longer star-crossed.
Anyway, this brings me to Glee. You've probably heard of it. You probably know people who love it, and you may have refused to watch it because so many people you know recommend it. "But it's just high school musical" you say. I'll admit, I was skeptical at first. But I like it, I really do. Yeah, the story knowingly (resists using the adverb "gleefully") plunges into the absurd. It's a high school comic soap opera, complete with song. Frankly, it makes me think wistfully of my young days watching "Saved By the Bell." And as for HSM, a phenomenon unto itself, Glee is a parody, not an imitator - but with some very talented vocalists on cast nonetheless.
And that's all I have to say about that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I confess to watching myself - something I'd imagine both of the individuals in my nom de plume would abhor. But they're dead.
ReplyDeleteThere is no shame in doing so. Dead men are dead for a reason.
ReplyDelete