Saturday, March 13, 2010

Decoration Day

In about six weeks I should be seeing the Drive-By Truckers live - for the third time. I'm not much of a live music person, so this is quite a tribute to the Truckers, a band that takes its obligations to put on a show quite seriously. Thus if I"m posting random Truckers' things over the next few weeks, you'll know why.

Most of you know I have a man-crush on Jason Isbell. You also know that he is no longer a member of the Truckers. Finally, you know that that fact won't stop me from posting an Isbell-era song here. This is the title track from the band's 2003 album, Decoration Day, one of two songs Isbell penned and performed on this, his first album with the band. (Aside: the other is "Outfit" - and while I have an obvious bias in the matter, in my opinion these are the two best songs on the album. Mike Cooley's "Marry Me" comes in 3rd.) This particular song relates a feud between the narrator's family (the Lawsons) and another family (the Hills). It's depressing and violent and ends with a a dead father, a few dead brothers, and a final note of "fuck you, and your feud, dad." Note: this a live video, but still an excellent recording of the song. The first 10 seconds or so are warmup.

Lyrics here (scroll down to nearly the bottom), should you be interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment