Random Thoughts on a Wednesday Evening
- In terms of pop culture, I like to play the elitist. Perhaps it's my over-education. My time in an academy which has taught me, a priori, to value some things over others. For instance, I've seen films by both Andrei Tarkovsky and Uwe Boll (probably the first time those two have appeared in the same sentence). However, even if I had not experienced either, culture dictates that I value the former's skill and production far more than the latter's. The problem is sometimes this falls short. I'm supposed to like the films of Federico Fellini, but really I can't stand them. Just what in the hell is 8 1/2 about? Clowns? Film? Incest? I really just don't know. I should love Michelangelo Antonioni's L'Avventura, but instead I'm watching it and wondering why the hell I'm subjecting myself to it. Truffaut's The 400 Blows (Les Quatre Cents Coups for those Francophiles out there) had me wondering if the titular beating wasn't preferable to actually viewing the film. But you know what movie I really like? The Wedding Singer. Yeah, it's Adam Sandler who is given great benefit of the doubt when referred to as an "actor." Yeah, it's every bad 80's stereotype and most bad romantic comedy stereotypes rolled into one - but I could watch it over and over. Or take this song, for instance. It came on the radio today while I was driving, and I purposely left it on. Yes, I enjoyed it. And frankly, anyone who doesn't love Human League can just go to hell. Perhaps I fail as an elitist.
- You need a good way to totally clusterfuck a laptop? Spill a good 20 oz of Mountain Dew on it and let the elixir take it's course. Warning, this is not what the Ancient Greeks would have referred to as "cost-effective," or "productivity increasing."
- I picked up Quantum of Solace yesterday from Redbox, and my post-theatrical enthusiasm is much diminished. I remember thinking it wasn't too bad and at the least entertaining. A second viewing has me severely questioning my first impression. Everything from the story to the theme song pales in comparison to Casino Royale. Water? Seriously? You're trying to corner the Bolivian water market? Congratulations.
- I have no doubt that I'm the only one who cares, but today I traversed all but 4 miles of I-435 around KC. On the way home I actually had a chance to go a few miles out of my way and rack up those missing miles ... and I didn't. It wasn't nearly as traumatic as the time I decided I was going to drive from Joplin to Oklahoma only to find that I'd have to pay a toll. Perhaps I fail as a Gestalt psychologist as well.
- The parental units will be in town this weekend, as my father and some family friends shelled out a ridiculous amount of money to see the Eagles. You'd have to beat me with a steel pipe to get me to an Eagles concert. Better yet, some other family friends decided not to see the Eagles because they're going to a different show 10 days later. It's a Nickelback show. Sometimes I question the people I associate with.
- Perhaps it's just luck of the draw, but on the roads lately I've been blessed with a number of people who want to tailgate me. Whether they think I'm law enforcement and are just afraid to pass (but for some reason think it's acceptable to ride a law enforcement officer's bumper at 75mph), or more likely want to hide behind me while cozily speeding, this is one highway phenomenon I don't tolerate. And no, I don't speed up - I slow down. I'll go as slow as it takes to get them around me. Nothing pisses them off more. What's worse is that I enjoy it. I've become that thing that I hate - an old driver.
- I still love almonds and do believe them to be the king of the nuts - but you know what's a fine, sexy nut in its own right? The pecan. It does suck that they're so expensive because they are tasty.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment